Monday, February 11, 2008

How do I attach a picture?

So this is a common question we get from internet users: "How do I attach a file to my email so I can send it to someone?" We gladly walk them through the process of clicking the attach button, browsing for their file on the disk or jumpdrive they brought with them, and clicking "attach".

Well a couple of days ago, a guy about my age asked for help with this process. I showed him how to click on the "attach" button, then I asked him if he had a floppy or a jumpdrive. "What?" he said.

"Your pictures," I said nicely. "Where are they?"

"They're on the computer," he said.

"The computer? What do you mean?", I asked, since it was impossible for the pics to be on the library's computer. The library's computer doesn't have it's on CPU for file storage.

He said, "When I'm at home, I just click attach and the pictures are there."

I tried to explain that his computer at home has all his pictures stored on it. Our computer doesn't have his pictures stored on it. He would need to bring his pictures in on a floppy disk or jump drive.

He didn't want to believe this: "You mean I can't bring them up through my email?!"

Sorry, buddy. I don't make the rules. I just get to explain them over and over.

No comments: