Thursday, August 7, 2008

I don't know anything about it, but I still want it

Years ago I worked at a small college library. One evening, a very nice young woman came in and told me about a friend of hers who had found this great math book that really helped him get ready for some test that she now had to take. It was a great book. It was orange. She thought. Did we still have it? I gave it a shot, taking her over to the math area and scanning spines for things in the red-orange part of the rainbow. No dice. I asked her to ask her friend for a little more information and we could try again. And that was the last I saw of her.

Today, a young man came up looking for a book he had read himself, though it was a very long time ago. All he could remember was that one of the characters was named Lenny. He couldn't remember if it was a kids book with pictures, an adult book or something in between. He didn't remember when in his life he read it. In fact, when we got right down to it, he wasn't even sure if the guy's name was Lenny. It might have been something else.

"What the heck," I thought and did a title search on "Lenny." Of course the Dustin Hoffman film, which I did not like back in the day, came up. Lots of kid books with Lenny in the title, but he gave up before I did. So we will never really know.

1 comment:

Dances With Keyboards said...

I swear this happened: A somewhat tipsy man entered the branch I was working in 12 years ago, and asked for a red book that would help with a legal issue with his doctor. His lawyer had recommended it, and he'd used it a week before. The only red legal reference book I could find was Black's Law Dictionary. When I asked if this was it, his response (I SWEAR) was: "No, my lawyer is a white guy."

There were two teens in the area who nearly lost their lunches from laughing so hard.