Wednesday, September 2, 2009

This part of the village is tired of raising your child

The sweet-faced 8-year-old walked up and said, "I want my glasses back."
Now, there are many things I want back, my youth chief among them, but I do not barge up to strangers and demand that these needed things be produced. After some questioning, using my finely honed reference interview skills, I determined that the child had left her glasses at a computer and that they were in the Lost and Found. Retrieving them from the box, I must say I was fairly chuffed. If I had lost my super fashionable glasses and some guy was holding them out to me, I would regard that person as my hero. The little girl literally snatched her specs out of my hand, turned on her heel and walked away without a word.
Not long afterward, she told me she wanted a guest pass to use one of the fine IntarWeb surfing machines we provide for the children of our community to conduct scholarly research. She snatched that out of my hand in the same way.
I'm cutting her off. We need a little more manners around here.

1 comment:

Dances With Keyboards said...

THANK YOU.

3 weeks ago, a kid around 7 or 8 came up to the desk and asked for 90 cents. Before I could explain that we don't give out money, he mother reeled him in with: "I already TOLD you, you're not getting Pop Tarts from the vending machine. We have them at home!"